HISTORY

OUR HISTORY

BE Group has its roots in Sweden and Finland, where Bröderna Edstrand and Starckjohann & Co were founded at the end of the 19th century.


19TH CENTURY

In 1868, Starckjohann & Co was founded by Peter Starckjohann in the Finnish town of Viborg.

In 1885, Bröderna Edstrand was founded by Hans and Jöns Edstrand in Malmö, Sweden.

20TH CENTURY

In 1974, Bröderna Edstrand is listed on the Stockholm Stock Exchange.

In 1976, Starckjohann takes the first steps in what we call production service today.

In 1988, Bröderna Edstrand is acquired by Trelleborg AB and after four generations of ownership, the Edstrand family leaves the company.

In the 1990s, the company establishes units in Denmark, Poland, Latvia and Lithuania. At the same time, Starckjohann Steel expanded through the acquisition of Mercantile and establishment in Estonia.

In 1999, Nordic Capital becomes the majority shareholder in Bröderna Edstrand and Starckjohann Steel. The two companies, including subsidiaries in the countries around the Baltic Sea, now form one group.

21ST CENTURY

In the 21st century, the Group’s European expansion continues with establishments in the Czech Republic and Slovakia.

In 2004, Trelleborg sells its remaining shares in the Group.

In 2006, BE Group’s share is relisted on the Stockholm Stock Exchange and the Group takes the mutual name BE Group AB.

In 2008, the Group acquires 50% of the shares in the joint venture ArcelorMittal BE Group SSC AB.

In 2010, the Group acquires Lecor Stålteknik in Kungälv.

In 2016, BE Group introduces a new organization with a clearer split into two businesses, Production and Distribution and the new organization consists of two business areas: Sweden & Poland and Finland & Baltic.

In 2017, 80 years after the opening of the office at Spadegatan, the Group moves the head office to Krangatan in Malmö.